Root Beer Float Cupcakes

We were celebrating our friend's birthday this weekend and I wanted to make cupcakes for her. I had a few ideas and wanted something summery as it has been raining pretty much non stop for weeks now! I remembered the cola cupcakes I made last year and thought root beer float cupcakes would be fun and yummy! The cupcake turned out great, very yummy and moist with a subtle root beer flavour. I'm not sure what happened to the frosting this time... I have used this recipe before with no problems but it didn't work this time, it was too runny and I didn't have time to fix it. I made it work it just wasn't as fluffy as usual but still yummy. Everyone loved them, we all had a couple. Now I just need the rain to stop so I can run off the calories!

Recipe inspired by Hummingbird Bakery: Cake Days
Ingredients:
Cake:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp root beer syrup
200ml whole milk
2 large eggs

Frosting:
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp root beer syrup
1 tbsp marshmallow syrup
2 tbsp whole milk

Cherries and straws, to decorate
.
Steps:
Preheat oven to 190C/375F and line a muffin tin with muffin cases. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt on a low speed until the ingredients resemble fine breadcrumbs. Place the root beer syrup, milk, and eggs in a small bowl and whisk together by hand. Add 3/4 of the milk mixture to the dry mix and combine together, then increase the speed and add the remaining milk mixture. Continue to mix until smooth. Divide the batter between the cases, fill them to two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely. FROSTING: Mix the icing sugar and butter until no lumps of butter remain and the mixture is still powdery. Add in root beer syrup, marshmallow syrup, and milk and mix slowly until combined then increase the speed to high. Continue mixing until the frosting is light and fluffy. Top each cake with a generous spoonful of frosting and smooth with a palette knife or pipe frosting on then decorate with a cherry and straw.






2 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look so good!!! I stopped drinking soda, so have not made any sweet treat with the delicious beverage. BUT everytime I read a recipe, I want some, LOL! Love the marshmallow icing on top, and the cherry & straw are so fun! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE root beer and these cupcakes are super cute! Perfect for a birthday or any celebration :)

    ReplyDelete