Slow Cooker Sunday: Spiced Cider Pulled Pork

We bought a pork shoulder joint yesterday to use in the slow cooker today but had no idea what I was going to make. I was searching for recipes but couldn't find one that I really wanted to make. I like BBQ pulled pork but I didn't really want the BBQ sauce flavour. So I thought I would take aspects of that recipe and figure something out. I went downstairs looked through the pantry and grabbed a few things. Then started chopping onions at 9am, I was actually surprised with myself as I started making this before having the normal cup of coffee needed to function. A little of this and a little of that, you will see in the recipe below. 9 hours later and it turned out great! So, I wanted to share this simple recipe with you. It is great on it's own or use as a base recipe for pulled pork and add in your favourite sauce. This will make your house smell lovely and you will be hungry all day waiting for it, but very worth the wait! Enjoy!

Recipe
Ingredients:
1.5kg Pork Shoulder Joint, off the bone
1 pint of your choice of Cider
2 White Onions
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Chicken Stock Cube
Worcestershire Sauce, few splashes
Cider Vinegar, few splashes
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

Steps:
  1. Spread the vegetable oil on the base of the slow cooker and turn the heat on low. Roughly chop up the onions and garlic cloves. Place in the slow cooker.
  2. Remove netting from pork shoulder joint and place in slow cooker, skin side down on top of the onion and garlic layer.
  3. Crumble up the chicken stock cube and sprinkle the brown sugar over the meat then pour cider over. Add in the splashes of Worcestershire sauce and cider vinegar
  4. Turn the heat on high, cover and set timer for 8 hours. 
  5. After 8 hours of cooking, remove meat from slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Remove the skin and discard. Using 2 forks shred the meat up and place back in the slow cooker with the meat juices, mix and set for 1 hour on high. 

1 comments: