Squash BlogHop: Easy Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

It's a new month and that means one thing, time to bake with my blogging friends across the world. This month the love has been given to the squash family. Now the squash family is a big one but I chose to use pumpkin. I knew I wanted to make pumpkin cinnamon rolls and found quite a few recipes online. Then I found one from the Keep It Simple Foods blog. The reason why I chose this was because there is no yeast in the recipe, so no having to wait for it to rise. This one was ready to go as soon as I mixed everything up! One day I will make proper cinnamon rolls but this makes a great alternitive. Whip this up in the morning and get the lovely smells going through the house to wake everyone up. Then sit back and enjoy with a cup of coffee!

November is #SquashLove month! Please join the #SquashLove fun by linking up any squash recipe from the month of November 2011. Don't forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #SquashLove event! The twitter hashtag is #SquashLove. 

Recipe
Courtesy of KISF
Ingredients:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup pureed pumpkin

For the icing: Mix together 1 Tbs milk, 1 Tbs maple syrup and 1 cup powdered sugar.




  Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 425F/200C.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and remaining salt.
  4. Next, add the milk and 2 tablespoons butter and stir until you’ve formed a good dough ball. 
  5. Transfer the dough ball  to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Roll the dough into a large rectangle. 
  6. Spread the pureed pumpkin evenly over the surface of the dough. Then, sprinkle the dough evenly with the brown sugar filling, leaving a half inch border at the edges. Pat the filling into the dough.
  7. Then, begin rolling the dough carefully, using a spatula to loosen it from the work surface as you go.  Roll the dough into a long, tight log. 
  8. Cut the log evenly into 1 inch pieces, you should have 9 to 12 pieces. 
  9. Fit the rolls tightly together in a nonstick baking pan. Pour remaining butter over the rolls.
  10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden on top. Let cool slightly before pouring on the icing.


Meet this month's co-hosts and follow us on Twitter!
Baker Street | Anuradha : @bakerstreet29
Bloc De Recetas | Salomé : @blocderecetas
Bon à croquer | Valerie : @valouth
Cafe Terra Blog | Terra : @cafeterrablog
Cake Duchess | Lora : @cakeduchess
Elephant Eats | Amy 
Food Wanderings | Shulie : @foodwanderings
Hobby and More | Richa : @betit19
Georgie Cakes | Gorgie : @georgiecakes
Mike’s Baking | Mike : @mikesbaking
Mis Pensamientos | Junia : @juniakk
My Twisted Recipes | Dudut : @mytwistedrecipe
No One Like Crumbley Cookies | T.R : @TRCrumbley
Queens Notebook | Elizabeth : @mango_queen
Simply Reem | Reem : @simplyreem
Skip To Malou | Malou : @malou_nievera
Teaspoon Of Spice | Serena : @tspcurry
The Daily Palette | Annapet : @thedailypalette
The Professional Palette | Regan : @profpalate
The Spicy RD | EA : @thespicyrd
Vegan Miam | Rika : @veganmiam
 

20 comments:

  1. Do you know I wanted to make those?? But finally I ended making the pumpkin bread one haha But I'm sure those cinnamon rolls will come by my house soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mike for this no-yeast recipe! Yeast intimidates me...

    Happy to cook with you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is TOTALLY my kind of recipe. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you didn't use yeast in this recipe! I'm not best friends with yeast. heh. pumpkin and cinnamon are a perfect combination. i would fancy mine with a white chocolate drizzle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm this is totally my kind of cinnamon sticky roll! totally making these for breakfast this week!
    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. pumpkin in a cinnamon roll sounds DELISH! love this idea mike! sending some #squashlove to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are such a talented baker! these cinnamon rolls looks fantastic and tempting! can i have one? LOL!

    nice cooking along with you, Mike! looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of adding squash to these sweet rolls. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet theses taste better without the yeast. Great photo journey of the recipe. It's a great recipe you can whip together on a cold winter morning, like maybe today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww Mike you won't believe how many times I meant to bake cinnamon rolls but never got around to it. I like the idea of slicing of the loaf and twisting the individual buns facing up. It reminds me of roses blooming, don;t ask me why?! :) These look gorgeous and so happy to be cohosting with you and the bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw these Cinnamon Rolls on the #SquashLove thumbnail pics & I could not believe it. Oh my goodness, these look soooo divine! Glad to cook along with you on this fun event!

    ReplyDelete
  12. would love to wake up by the aroma of your pumpkin cinnamon rolls, but you're right there's no waiting game in this recipe since there's no yeast involved so maybe i could still get my rolling pin and start baking... i could almost feel the soft dough haha. thanks for the squashlove bloghop, im so inspired!
    malou

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks sinfully delicious!!!!
    My kind of food, God I so want this now...
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pumpkin cinnamon rolls are on my list of things to make! I've never seen pumpkin in the filling instead of the dough though...sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous idea! I would never have thought to use pumpkin in cinnamon rolls, but sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike,

    I am dying for cinnamon rolls. The idea of using pumpkin puree in these cinnamon rolls is wicked...you can add anything within the cinnamon rolls. Nicely done! I'm dying to eat them!

    Squash-love for ya!

    Cheers, Rika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mike! Thanks for your comment on yummymummykitchen.com
    These cinnamon rolls look amazing! I'm your newest follower and I hope you'll come follow me back at http://www.yummymummykitchen.com Looking forward to more of your yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious and seems very easy... I'll try it! Besos

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband makes cinnamon rolls every year. I hope I can convince him to make it with pumpkin this time for a little twist :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my heavens, YUM!!!!! I love that you said they are easy, because I adore making cinnamon rolls:-) What a fun idea adding pumpkin in them, gorgeous:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete