Cinnamon Swirl Cake




I had no idea that the episode of the TV show I was on was going to air today, until the tweets started coming in. Thank you everyone for all the great messages this evening and asking for the recipe that I baked on the show. I was going to make it again this weekend so I could take better photos with my camera but here are some shots from my mobile when I was practicing before going on the show. I am a huge fan of cinnamon and when asked to do a tray bake recipe for the show I knew I wanted to use cinnamon. This cinnamon swirl cake definitely packs the cinnamon in. Hope you get a chance to check out the show, "Baking Mad with Eric Lanlard", it really is a great show to watch. I also hope you try out the recipe below.






Recipe
Ingredients:
Cinnamon Topping:
100g light brown sugar
65g plain flour
60g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp cinnamon

Cinnamon Filling:
225g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown sugar
2 Tbsp plain flour
2 Tbsp cinnamon


Cake: 
400g plain flour
225g caster sugar
355ml milk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
55g unsalted butter, melted

Icing Drizzle: 
125g icing sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Steps:
1. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the cinnamon topping until well combined and set aside. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for the cinnamon filling until well combined and set aside. 3. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for the cake except for the melted butter. Once that has come together well, slowly mix in the melted butter. Pour into a greased 33cm x 23cm x 4.5cm baking tray. (13in x 9in x 1.75in tray) 4. Drop large spoonfuls of the cinnamon filling evenly over the cake batter and use a knife to lightly swirl the cinnamon filling into the cake batter. 5. Drop small little pieces of the cinnamon topping all over the top of the cake batter. 6. Bake at 175C for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from centre of cake. Let cake cool in tray on a wire rack. 7. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for icing drizzle until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Cut cake into squares.


































9 comments:

  1. Thank you Mike, I will give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think cinnamon is one of my favourite cake ingredients, so this cake would be perfect for me!

    Although, some pupils I teach were telling me today that it's impossible to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon...I didn't believe them but there's a cinnamon challenge on YouTube...I haven't tried it yet though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks really good Mike and sounds really delicious too. Love cinnamon and really like the way you've swirled it through the cake. Have bookmarked this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike, i've just made this - haven't tasted it as it's 1am and i'm going to bed - but oh does it look and smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made it and it's yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this today and the feedback thus far is A-MAZING! Super easy to make and incredibly good with I've cream or custard. 5 Star rating :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most sublime cake-will struggle to limit myself to one slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you turn this into cupcakes? How many would it make and any idea about cooking time?

    ReplyDelete